Friday, November 13, 2015

That's A Wrap!

I had a blast at the Soccer Banquet last night! It was bittersweet closing out the season. You all have made my first year coaching unforgettable and I am truly grateful for your contributions both on and off the field.We lived our team motto- Strong alone. Unstoppable together. You all are amazing and talented young women. I am proud of our 12, 1, and 2 record, but I am more proud of how we conducted ourselves and supported each other. When I cam into this season, I was unsure I would be able to separate being and athlete from being a coach. What I realized was, when I coached you, I fell in love with soccer in a whole different way. Seeing you improve, watching your reactions when you made big plays, it's a kind of pride you don't experience as a player.

My goals as a coach were simple: For each player to have a positive experience and  to be a positive role model for each of you young women. As players, you have exceed all of my expectations. 
I want to leave you with some motivation for the off season. In the words of Mia Hamm, “Somewhere behind the athlete you’ve become and the hours of practice and the coaches who pushed you, is a little girl who feel in love with the game and never looked back . . . play for her.”
As a girl, I always looked up to Mia. She was the best player in the world, literally, but she never stopped striving to improve because she never forgot where she came from. Girls, remember who you are. Be true to yourself and remember what it feels like to put on an Athena jersey. I’ll never forget what it feels like to be your coach.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment